Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Time for planting

So I started to search for what will work to plant right now. This is what I have planted:
Leafy veggies!
     *A.Spinach

PLANTING: 1/4 to 1/2" seed spacing 2"
DAYS FOR MATURITY: 45 days
Spinach is planted in the fall and likes cool weather, when ready cut leaves and they will regrow for a second harvest.
NUTRITION: high in Chlorophyll, iron, and vitamin c.

     *B. Swiss Chard
PLANTING: 1/4 to 1/2" seed spacing 1"
DAYS FOR MATURITY:50 days
Chard planted in the fall and likes cool weather, when ready cut leaves and they will regrow for a second harvest.
NUTRITION:  Calcium, iron, & vitamins A, B1, B2, C and Niacin


    *C. Cabbage
PLANTING: 1/4 to 1/2" seed spacing 1"
DAYS FOR MATURITY: 65 days
NUTRITION: vitamin C and U.



*Beets
PLANTING:1/2-3/4" Seed spacing 1-2"
DAYS FOR MATURITY:60
NUTRITION:calcium, iron, & vitamins A, B1, B2, C and Niacin

*Radish
PLANTING:1/4-1/2" seed spacing 1"
DAYS FOR MATURITY: 25
NUTRITION: calcium, iron, & vitamins A, B1, B2, C and Niacin
*Onions
PLANTING: 1/2" spacing 1"
DAYS FOR MATURITY:  110
NUTRITION: Calcium, iron, and vitamins:A, B1, B2, C and Niacin.

*Garlic (my favorite to cook with!)  This is planted in the fall and will be ready next summer!
PLANTING: You can actually buy regular garlic from the store separate and plant pieces of it.
DAYS FOR MATURITY: NEXT SUMMER
NUTRITION: Stimulates metabolism, is an antiseptic, reduces cholesterol, thins the blood( which prevents heart disease), and reduces high blood pressure!

(I told my husband that I cancel out all of the stress I cause him by cooking with Garlic!!)

Love this can of seeds I found! It has instructions, care, harvesting and nutrition on everything!
It came with everything you could dream up! I am excited for spring!
What I planted!
I love that my kids were so excited and eager to help! I hope I can teach them something they will use in their lives for the future!


This is a good site I found helpful with planting times!

1 comment:

  1. I think you should get a few chickens next! If you over produce will you share with your sister?

    ReplyDelete